Sunday, August 17, 2014

I'm Back.

The process of going back to school isn't just a matter of getting into my car, sitting in traffic, pulling into the parking lot, and walking onto campus.  There is, of course, a stop for coffee somewhere along the way. 

Okay, maybe there's even more to it than that.   
My most recent layout for JBS documents my first day and first week back to school. It's been a monumental one, what with my daughter, a senior (!), attending her last first day of school. This year I am also teaching a bunch of new classes, one of which (as mentioned in an earlier post) focuses on folklore and mythology. The August JBS Antiquarian kit turned out to be a serendipitous match for this page, since it includes folk-tale-themed elements, among other vintage finds.
What I love the most about heading back to school each year is the feeling of possibility.  We all start fresh, filled with hope. Thank goodness, however, that it isn't all entirely new -- I bring back what I have learned in prior years, including a sense of what works and what doesn't. Still, I always feel like a newbie, and that's a good thing -- I want to be ready and willing to learn more. I never want to become the kind of teacher who cycles endlessly through the same lesson plans, year after year.  Change is good.

Here's to the year ahead. It is going to be a memorable one.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! The layers!! Good luck with the start of your school year..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you journal about those bittersweet last firsts. Beautiful page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love new beginnings. (That's why I like Mondays -shhh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love how you created a detailed page that displays so much feeling--AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete